Should you drink Gatorade before or after a run? Experts recommend drinking Gatorade after your run. Let’s dive into what you need to know about electrolytes.
If you’re a runner, you probably have heard plenty about how Gatorade and similar sports drinks can help refuel your body with electrolytes after a long run. So, should you drink Gatorade before or after a run? Most experts say drinking Gatorade after a run is best because electrolytes and carbohydrates can help runners refuel and rehydrate.
Carbohydrates give runners energy, and electrolytes help the runner’s body to maintain adequate fuel balance and rehydration after activity. However, if you are running for long distances, the rules change. Read on to find out more.
- 1 When Should You Drink Gatorade?
- 2 The Benefits Of Drinking Gatorade After A Workout
- 3 What To Drink Before Running
- 4 What To Drink After Running
- 5 The Final Word On Should You Drink Gatorade Before Or After A Run?
- 6 FAQs About Should You Drink Gatorade Before Or After A Run?
When Should You Drink Gatorade?
Plain water is perfect for short runs, but in hot weather and longer runs, you may need to consider a sports drink such as Gatorade after about an hour of running. In short, if the strenuous physical activity takes longer than 60 minutes, Gatorade is your best option for quick hydration. This is especially important if you’re running in extreme heat.
The Benefits Of Drinking Gatorade After A Workout
Below are some of the benefits of drinking Gatorade after a run.
- Sports drinks have electrolytes that help your body maintain its ionic balance, which is important for nerve, brain, and muscle functioning. You can suffer from electrolyte disorder when your electrolytes are out of balance.
- Carbohydrates and electrolytes serve to help runners rehydrate and refuel. Carbohydrates give you the energy you need to run, and electrolytes help your body maintain its fuel balance.
- One report from the University of California, Berkeley, shows that Gatorade may be better than water for adults and children if they engage in vigorous, prolonged physical activity in hot conditions for more than 60 minutes.
What To Drink Before Running
Before running, drink plenty of water so that you will stay hydrated during your run. While Gatorade has sugar that can give you energy, water is still your best option for pre-run hydration. If you like running, you might be interested in our guide on can you run barefoot on a treadmill.
What To Drink After Running
After your run, drink Gatorade to help with recovery. Here are some other excellent post-run options:
- Protein shakes
- Chocolate milk
The Final Word On Should You Drink Gatorade Before Or After A Run?
If you’re running for less than 60 minutes, drink your Gatorade after your run unless you’re running in extreme heat. In that case, drink water before your run, and then kick in with Gatorade after about 60 minutes. If you liked this post, check out our guide on when to take energy gels during a half marathon.
Here are some tips for replacing lost electrolytes during a run:
- 30 to 35-minute runs: Water before running (and during if needed).
- 60-minute runs (option 1): Electrolyte tablets dissolved in water after your run.
- 60-minute runs (option 2): Low-calorie sports drink such as G2, Luna Sport Electrolyte Splash, Crystal Light Hydration, or PowerAde Zero.
- 1-2 hour runs: Regular sports drink such as Gatorade or PowerAde.
- 2+ hour runs: Endurance sports drinks (Gatorade Endurance Formula or PowerBar Endurance).
FAQs About Should You Drink Gatorade Before Or After A Run?
Is gatorade good for runs?
It’s a great idea to have some Gatorade after your run. It will help you to rehydrate and replace electrolytes. However, if you’re going to run for more than an hour or so, you should consider a sports drink sometime during your run.
Should I drink gatorade before exercise?
If you’re doing strenuous exercise such as running, experts recommend drinking Gatorade after your run. Before you run, hydrate with water.
Is gatorade better than water for running?
For quick rehydration and electrolyte replacement after your run, Gatorade and similar sports drinks are ideal. However, water is best for natural hydration because Gatorade has lots of sodium and sugar.