21 of the best savasana songs that are just right for encouraging and accompanying that blissful state.
“When you’re ready, make your way into final resting pose, savasana.”
Ah, music to my ears at the end of any yoga class. Sometimes savasana is in silence, but often, there is musical accompaniment, either some instrumental music or a suitable song. Occasionally there will be live music, perhaps an unaccompanied voice singing a closing chant.
Finding the right song is not always easy when it comes to savasana. You don’t want anything that will be too distracting for those doing the yoga practice, and you certainly want to avoid anything that will jolt people out of their post-practice blissful state.
Try to avoid songs with lyrics that might upset people. Find something neutral or soothing. Here are some suggestions of suitable savasana songs from my own playlist and from songs played in classes I’ve taken that landed well with me.
- Perfect Savasana Songs
- 1. Mere Gurudev by Krishna Das
- 2. My God is Real by Krishna Das
- 3. Guru Puja by Krishna Das
- 4. Om Namo Bhagavate by Deva Premal
- 5. Aad Guray Nameh by Snatam Kaur
- 6. Ra Ma Da Sa by Snatam Kaur
- 7. Offering Chant by Llama Gyurne
- 8. Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu by Jane Winther
- 9. Om Mani Padme Hum by Jane Winther
- 10. Devi Prayer by Craig Pruess and Ananda
- 11. I am Loving Awareness by East Forest and Ram Dass
- 12. Aix Em Klemm by Sparkwood and Twentyone
- 13. Gopala Lullaby by Jai Uttal
- 14. Ultimate Om by Jonathan Goldman’s
- 15. Om Shantih by Sharon Gannon
- Our Last Six are Modern Songs for Savasana
- 16. One Voice by The Wailin’ Jennys
- 17. Across the Universe by Fiona Apple
- 18. I Shall Believe by Sheryl Crow
- 19. Photograph by Ed Sheeran
- 20. One Love by Rose Cousins
- 21. Lullaby by Edie Carey and Sarah Sample
- The Final Word on the Best Savasana Songs
Perfect Savasana Songs
1. Mere Gurudev by Krishna Das
Certainly, anything by Krishna Das is a good fit for savasana, especially Mere Gurudev, which everyone seems to love. His voice has a lovely tone and depth.
2. My God is Real by Krishna Das
The message is not religious, somewhat spiritual, and a little haunting. This song speaks of union and love.
3. Guru Puja by Krishna Das
Another song from Krishna Das that has that savasana feeling is Guru Puja. It has a meditative quality that encourages deep relaxation.
4. Om Namo Bhagavate by Deva Premal
Deva Premal is an excellent choice, with lots of songs to choose from. I recommend Om Namo Bhagavate. I have heard this one so many times in yoga classes, but I never tire of it.
5. Aad Guray Nameh by Snatam Kaur
Anything by Snatam Kaur will work well for savasana. Aad Guray Nameh is my favorite track of hers. It’s hypnotic. I find myself singing this one for hours after class.
6. Ra Ma Da Sa by Snatam Kaur
This is another great choice. Ra Ma Da Sa is the mantra for sacred healing meditation. It is often chanted in kundalini yoga classes, but works well for savasana in any class.
7. Offering Chant by Llama Gyurne
Offering Chant is another of my favorites. There are two versions. The unplugged version is particularly haunting and works well for savasana. I always feel transported when listening to this one.
8. Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu by Jane Winther
Jane Winther is another artist with many songs or chants to choose from for savasana. Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu is a prayer of love. It is a Sanskrit mantra that assists us in our spiritual evolution and acts as a blessing for the world.
9. Om Mani Padme Hum by Jane Winther
Another beautiful offering from Jane Winther. The six syllables in this ancient mantra, om mani padme hum, relate to compassion and purity of body, mind, and speech.
10. Devi Prayer by Craig Pruess and Ananda
The Devi Prayer is often played during savasana. It is a hymn to the Divine Mother. It creates a sense of calm and peacefulness.
11. I am Loving Awareness by East Forest and Ram Dass
Anything from the album East Forest x Ram Dass works well, such as I Am Loving Awareness. This track combines meditative music from East Forest and spoken word from Ram Dass.
12. Aix Em Klemm by Sparkwood and Twentyone
This is a lovely, mellow instrumental. It is a perfect choice if you’re looking for some unobtrusive, ambient music to accompany savasana.
13. Gopala Lullaby by Jai Uttal
Jai Uttal has a beautiful voice, so he is always a safe bet. I particularly like his Gopala Lullaby, which helps foster a peaceful atmosphere. This track has a hypnotic, meditative quality.
14. Ultimate Om by Jonathan Goldman’s
Ultimate Om is lovely. A roomful of people are chanting the Om mantra. Goldman is well known as a sound healer. This track has a pulsating quality and a therapeutic effect.
15. Om Shantih by Sharon Gannon
This is a beautiful selection for savasana. Sharon Gannon is a talented vocalist, and this track is deeply resonant and relaxing.
Our Last Six are Modern Songs for Savasana
I generally prefer classical yoga songs or chants. But now and again, I will play something more modern for savasana. For something more contemporary to accompany the final resting pose, here are a few suggestions.
16. One Voice by The Wailin’ Jennys
One Voice is a beautiful song for savasana, with its emphasis on unity and connection. Though there are vocal harmonies, it is not overpowering. A great choice if you’re looking for something a little different for savasana.
17. Across the Universe by Fiona Apple
Fiona Apple’s rendition of Across the Universe works surprisingly well for savasana. Of course, the original from the Beatles is amazing, but I love this slow and sultry cover.
18. I Shall Believe by Sheryl Crow
I Shall Believe played at the end of a class I was taking, and it worked well. The song is gentle at first and builds in intensity as it goes. At first, I thought it would be distracting, but somehow it accompanies savasana perfectly.
19. Photograph by Ed Sheeran
Photograph is another song that I was surprised to hear in savasana, but, again, somehow, it worked. The lyrical message of never being alone is perhaps what allows it to be suitable for savasana.
20. One Love by Rose Cousins
From Nova Scotia, Canada, Rose Cousins has some beautiful songs that work well in savasana. One love is short but has a nice, introspective savasana feel to it. I use this song occasionally, followed by a few minutes of silence.
21. Lullaby by Edie Carey and Sarah Sample
Finally, for savasana, I like Lullaby from Edie Carey and Sarah Sample’s album, ‘Til the Morning. The entire album is soothing, but this song, in particular, has the right feel for savasana.
The Final Word on the Best Savasana Songs
So there you have it. Some perfect songs and instrumentals, old and new, to play during final resting pose, savasana. Proceed with caution, or at least some mindfulness, when selecting a savasana song. And it’s worth remembering that sometimes the best song is no song at all. Or play a song that doesn’t last for the entire savasana. Silence, after all, can be golden.