Comfortable joggers, also known as sweatpants or sweats, are perfect for chilling at home or even running errands and shopping. So, can you run in joggers? They’re great for keeping your legs warm and shielding them from the elements, but they can slow you down due to making you sweat more – joggers are fine if the stakes are low but serious runners probably avoid them.
The Best Pants For Running
What are the best pants for running? The short answer is this: whatever pants help you to run faster, for longer, and most comfortably.
Many runners like to wear lightweight tights, while others enjoy specially designed running pants or joggers. Water-resistant pants are ideal for runners. Shoes are vital too, check out our explainer on can you run in golf shoes.
Most importantly, running pants should be lightweight and have moisture-wicking features that help you stay dry. In terms of stretch, running pants should be designed to make running effortless.
Benefits Of Joggers For Running
- You’ll burn more calories. Because you sweat more, you burn more calories when you run in joggers. However, you don’t burn fat.
- Sweating helps your body regulate your temperature, so you cool down quicker.
- You experience less chafing.
- Joggers protect your skin from the sun.
- You’re less prone to insect bites if you’re wearing long pants.
- Joggers can keep your legs warm, which leads to an overall better run.
Drawbacks Of Joggers For Running
- Sweating more can lead to dehydration.
- Joggers serve to increase body heat. While this will make you sweat more, there are also risks. If you get too hot, you’re at risk for heat stroke.
- Joggers or sweats can be uncomfortable.
If you liked this post, our 2-in1 running shorts explainer might also be helpful.
FAQs About Can You Run In Joggers
What Should I Wear When Running?
What you wear while running depends on the weather conditions in which you’ll be running. Running clothes should be lightly insulated, dry, and properly ventilated.
For running in warm weather, wear clothing that will wick away moisture. This will ensure you’re cool and protected from the sun’s rays. On warm days, you may only need a shirt, shorts, and socks, in addition to your running shoes.
If you’re running in the winter, you may need to wear tights or pants, along with a soft-shell jacket or vest. Keep in mind that you’ll warm up as you start running.
Is It Better To Run In Shorts Or Sweatpants?
For intense runs, it’s better to wear shorts unless you are running in extremely cold conditions. You risk becoming dehydrated or suffering heat stroke when you wear sweatpants or joggers.
Does Running In Sweats Burn More Fat?
Elite athletes such as wrestlers, boxers, combat athletes, and bodybuilders who need to cut weight before a competition will often wear sweats so that they weigh less at the weigh-in. Because wearing sweats can lead to lower scale numbers due to water weight, people assume that they are actually losing more weight.
If you run in sweats, you may see lower numbers on your scale, and you’ll burn more calories. However, this weight loss is usually temporary and doesn’t translate to fat loss.