In this article we consider what plants to grow in your yoga studio, and why you should consider it in the first place. The benefits of growing plants in your yoga studio are both intuitive and backed up by science. Research shows that spending time in an environment with houseplants reduces psychological and physical stress. Houseplants are also known to reduce blood pressure, pain and anxiety, and may help your yoga practice by improving your concentration and attention.
Overall, science shows that having houseplants around will make you happier and more productive. Flowering or other highly scented plants are particularly beneficial. Neuroscientists have confirmed that aromatherapy has a positive impact on mood, physiology, and behavior.
Adding plants will also improve the air quality in your studio. NASA experiments showed that plants purify the air, removing chemicals like benzene, trichloroethylene, and formaldehyde. Other research shows house plants reduce dust in the air, so you won’t inhale so many particulates during pranayama.
Every environment poses its own landscaping challenges. Whether you have poor sun exposure or limited window space, thanks to the diversity of houseplants available you can find the perfect plants to grow in your yoga studio. We have broken down the following 18 recommended plants into categories to match your setting or preference.
- Plants for Low Natural Light
- Plants for Limited Space
- Plants for Hot and Humid Studios
- Aromatic Plants
- Low-Maintenance Plants
- Final Word: Perfect Plants to Grow in Your Yoga Studio
Plants for Low Natural Light
1. Peace Lily
Many people assume they can’t grow houseplants in their yoga studio because they have no windows with direct sunlight, but this isn’t true. In forests and jungles, ground cover plants don’t get direct sunlight because of the dense canopy overhead, so many plants are happy in a north-facing or semi-shaded window as it matches their natural environment.
The peace lily is an extremely popular and easy to grow tropical houseplant. They prefer filtered light and will remove more pollutants from your studio than most other houseplants. Peace lilies bloom twice each year, with long-lasting flowers.
You might also be interested in our round-up of inspiring yoga studio design ideas and tips.
- The Peace Lily is a tough and easy to grow evergreen plant with glossy deep green tropical leaves and tall white flowers rising above the foliage
- Very few houseplants that bloom so beautifully are as easy to care for; it also flowers and its attractive glossy leaves make a stunning foliage plant
- A favorite of decorators, this plant thrives in bright indirect sunlight on window sills, counter tops, desks, and tables in your home or office
- This top air purifying plant comes in a 6" pot and measures 18-20" tall from the bottom of the plastic containers to the top of the leaves
- Houseplants can make your home more beautiful, purify your air, boost your mood, and relieve dryness by raising the humidity in your rooms
2. Prayer Plant
Another great choice for a low-light studio space is a prayer plant, which is native to the Brazilian rainforest. They have beautiful multicolored leaves, some with pink veins. Prayer plants can’t tolerate direct sunlight, and they require acidic soil, so try adding extra peat moss to your potting mix.
- Prayer plants have big, oval leaves that turn upward at night
- The folding and unfolding of the leaves happens in a regular pattern
- Plant biologists call these daily cycles circadian rhythms
- Just provide bright indirect light and keep evenly moist
- The plants you will receive are growing in 4" Hanging -pots
Ferns are a great choice for many studios. They are satisfied with indirect sunlight, and are particularly good at air purification. One of the best is the Boston fern, which thrives in cool spaces with indirect light. Other options include a rabbit’s foot fern or Kimberly Queen fern. Make sure to keep your fern’s soil damp, and if your studio isn’t already humid then spray them with water occasionally.
- Sword-shaped fronds with shallow toothed pinnate gently curve down to gracefully hang 40". The Boston Fern is a classic houseplant overflowing with evergreen tiny leaves giving the plant a full and luscious look. Place up high on a pedestal, hanging basket or up on a windowsill for a simple touch of greenery.
- Shop with confidence knowing our collections "looks so real, they're Nearly Natural!" Pioneers in our industry; Nearly Natural is the first artificial floral company to hire head designers with years of experience in the live plant industry. We source products with a sound and in-depth knowledge of our industry Nature.
- Overall Product Dimensions: 40 In. W x 40 In. D x 15 In. H. Measurements are from the bottom of the pot to the furthest extended flower or leaf on the arrangement. Width dimensions are also calculated from each furthest outstretched dimension.
- No Maintenance Required; No Watering. Looks full and fresh every day; wipe clean with a soft dry cloth.
- Sword-shaped fronds with shallow toothed pinnate. Tiny evergreen leaves. Set of 2, stand-alone ferns. Perfect for hanging
Plants for Limited Space
4. Ox Tongue Succulent
If the growing area in your yoga studio is limited, you can still grow a lot of plants if you pick the right kinds. Slow-growing succulents are a good choice for small, sunny windowsills. You might grow them in a row of tiny pots or an indoor window-box. Try the attractive ox tongue succulent, which prefers bright but indirect light and stays compact.
5. Zebra Cactus
Cacti are another great space-saving choice. One popular option is the dramatically patterned zebra cactus. They generally stay less than six inches tall and are perfect for a tiny windowsill container.
- Upright growth with tough rosette-shaped leaves; tolerates medium to bright light
- Great for room decor or dorm decor. Compact, drought tolerant succulent with stiff, dark green leaves, broadly striped in white; fits into small spaces
- Comes in a modern white ceramic pot with a touch of gold, topped with river rock, plant may vary due to availability, environment and season
- Shallow-rooted, short stemmed; low-maintenance, tolerates weeks without water
- Grows 3-4 inches tall and 4 inches wide; Comes in a ceramic pot measuring 5 inches in diameter and 4.5 inches tall
6. Creeping Fig
If you want to expand your growing area, a great strategy is to use the vertical space near your windows. Try growing climbing plants that can be trained to grow up a wall or trellis. For example, the creeping fig, the smallest member of the ficus family, is a great houseplant that prefers bright but indirect light.
7. Spider plants
In addition to climbers, hanging baskets are an effective option for using vertical space.
Spider plants are highly suitable for hanging baskets. They are resilient growers, and content with a wide range of environmental conditions, including indirect light and cooler temperatures. They are a joy to watch grow, as they produce small white flowers that turn into miniature spider plants, called spiderettes, which allow easy propagation of the plant.
Plants for Hot and Humid Studios
8. Umbrella Tree
If you run a hot yoga studio, you’ll want tropical plants accustomed to high heat and humidity. One great option is the umbrella tree, which is perfectly at home in a warm and sunny environment. Even indoors, the umbrella tree can grow up to fifteen feet tall, making good use of vertical space.
- CONTENTS: Bonsai, Decorative Container (Assorted Colors & Styles), Soil, Care Instructions.
- SPECIES: Glossy green leaves are delicately divided and upright umbels produce orange-red to black berries. The leaves are miniature and shaped like umbrellas, which together, form a beautiful, green, and dense canopy.
- AGE/SIZE/CARE: Your small 3 year old bonsai will arrive at 5" to 8" tall in a 6" container and will perform best indoors (see detailed care instructions in images)
- USES: Ideal Mother’s Day gift, office & cubicle décor or a centerpiece for any kitchen table, desktop, window plant or outdoor décor.
- WARRANTY: Your bonsai tree has been grown in a state-of-the-art greenhouse under precisely controlled conditions to achieve optimum health. If for any reason you are not completely satisfied with your tree or with our service, please notify us within 30 days of receipt. We will correct the situation to your satisfaction.
Tropical hibiscus is another great choice for a hot yoga room. Hibiscus produce large, showy flowers, and come in a wide variety of colors. Due to its tropical origins, hibiscus thrives in sunny, humid rooms.
- Hibiscus can be grown singly in a pot or planted as a garden hedge in warmer climates; large beautiful flowers attract butterflies and hummingbirds
- This perennial plant will live and bloom for many years with proper care; flowers in summer and fall and year round in tropical climates
- Hibiscus love warmth and humidity in direct sunlight and add a tropical flair to decks, patios, and poolside.
- This pet safe tropical 3G potted plant measures 28-30" tall from the bottom of the plastic containers to the top of the leaves; flowers summer to fall
- Houseplants can make your home more beautiful, purify your air, boost your mood, and relieve dryness by raising the humidity in your rooms
10. Crown of Thorns
It’s no surprise that Madagascar is the origin of many plants that are perfect for a hot yoga room. A crown of thorns succulent, for example, appreciates heat and humidity. The crown of thorns is covered in small but eye-catching red flowers, which bloom nearly all year-round.
- Crown of Thorns is a plant growing best in a sunny location
- Ideal temperatures are 62 to 65 degrees at night and 80 to 85 degrees during the day
- This is a very easy house plant to grow
- Proper name: Euphorbia splendens
- The plant you will receive is growing in a 4" pot
11. Bird of Paradise
Another great lover of heat and humidity is the bird of paradise. These tropical beauties offer attractive greenery, and may even bloom indoors in a particularly sunny south-facing window.
- 1 Bird of Paradise Hawaii Strelitzia Starter Plant No Bloom 4 - 6 Inches tall in a 2.5 Inch Container
- Create Your Beautiful Fragrant Tropical Garden -
- Great For Gift Giving, Holidays, Birthdays, Business or Keep For Yourself
- Lanscaping, indoor or outdoor, In a garden pot or ground
- Grown in a pest free certified nursery on the Big Island Of Hawaii - Support Made In The USA
A classic of aromatherapy, jasmine makes a great plant for a yoga studio. Jasmine needs a south-facing window with good light, and typically won’t bloom until the second year, but their heavenly fragrance is well worth the effort.
- Intoxicatingly fragrant vine; flowers pack a huge punch of Sweet fragrance and can easily Perfume an entire yard.
- Fast-growing, twining vine that can be grown on lamp posts, Trellises, or arbors.
- Drought-tolerant; suitable for xeriscaping.
- Usda Hardiness zones: 8-12
13. Meyer Lemon Tree
Small, potted Meyer lemon trees are perfect for yoga studios with good sunlight. Meyer lemon flowers have an intoxicating fragrance, and the trees flower off and on year-round. If well cared for, the flowers will grow into small, delicious lemons that make a perfect garnish for your post-yoga water.
- CAN NOT SHIP TO CA, TX, AZ, OR LA
- A BEAUTIFUL HAPPY BIRTHDAY GIFT TREE - RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX! This healthy Myer Lemon Gift Tree is the perfect gift for a welcoming housewarming gift or any gift occasion. Gift occasions like new baby, housewarming, birthday or get well - this tree gift will be enjoyed as a special gift.
- THIS THRIVING MYER LEMON TREE GIFT Grows into a mature tree about 10’ tall with a 7’ Spread. The sweet fragrant blossms set from February to April and produce a heavy fruit set. It is very common to get sweet myer lemons in your FIRST YEAR. As the tree matures it will set a large quantity of lemons.
- THE MAGNOLIA COMPANY HOUSEWARMING TREE GIFTS are a symbol of welcome and hospitality for a new home! CUSTOMIZED OPTIONS ARE AVAILABLE FOR A UNIQUE GIFT MESSAGE and EVEN AN ENGRAVED TREE TAG. Review these gift tree options to make this the perfect gift for your family and friends.
Paperwhites, a variety of narcissus, give off a rich, almost musky scent. Paperwhites are bulbs that can be forced to flower at any time of year. They don’t require soil, so they can be grown as part of a beautiful display, for example using pebbles in the bottom of a glass vase in a calming color.
- Paperwhites are fragrant and produce white blooms in a blue Oblong Ceramic Planter
- This kit comes nicely packaged including bow.
- This kit includes pot, no-fuss growing medium, 3 top-quality bulb, and instructions
- Paperwhite kits are easy to grow and make the perfect gift.
Mint is another great all-purpose plant for the yoga studio. Sunlight awakens the leaves, releasing their scent into the air. You can harvest leaves to dry for tea or crush them with ice to infuse your water. Unlike most houseplants, mint can easily be grown easily and inexpensively from seed.
- ARE YOU EXCITED TO GROW YOUR OWN MINT GARDEN? We have searched and compiled the best mint variety starter pack. This garden pack includes: Mountain Mint, Peppermint, Spearmint, Wild Mint, Anise Hyssop and Common Mint.
- GROW YOUR OWN MINT PLANTS INDOORS OR OUTDOORS- This collection of individually packed seeds can be planted in your backyard or indoors, right in your own kitchen counter.
- PERFECT FOR YOUR MEALS AND TEA - Not only it is great for different variety of food, it is also perfect for your own fresh herbal tea.
- GREAT GIFT FOR GARDENERS, CHEFS AND TEA LOVERS - What else can be better a better gift than a pack of fresh herb mint seeds. Our collection of mint seeds is best even to beginners since it is complete with planting instructions and plant markers.
- PRODUCT OF USA - Our heirloom and non-gmo, garden seeds are sustainable sourced in the USA. Have confidence about our quality and 100% satisfaction guarantee. These seeds can work with aerogarden seed pods.
If you struggle with being mindful about taking care of your houseplants, try a resilient philodendron. Philodendrons come in literally thousands of varieties. They are attractive, shiny-leaved, fast-growing creepers, which can be trained to grow vertically or along walls and ledges. They require little attention and tolerate a wide variety of growing conditions.
- Monstera Deliciosa Plant Pot: Monstera Deliciosa is a beautiful plant with vibrant, waxy, large, dark green leaves. These plants are also referred to as Swiss Cheese Plants because of their naturally occurring leaf holes that resemble Swiss cheese.
- Indoor Plants: Monstera Deliciosa plants produce edible fruits called cerimans or monsteras that are high in potassium and vitamin C and taste like a combination of banana, pineapple, and mango. The USDA hardiness zone for outdoor planting is 10–12.
- Easy Maintenance: Monstera Deliciosa plants are easy to care for; they thrive in bright to medium indirect light, with the ideal temperature being 68-86° F. A heat pack is included with each plant if your region experiences cold weather.
- Home and Garden Decor: Our Monstera Deliciosa plant pot is perfect for windowsills, countertops, desks, and tables in your home or garden. The plant, which can grow up to 10-15' tall and 8’ wide indoors, is also a great gift option for friends and family.
- Health Benefits: Live plants purify the air in their surroundings and thus enable you to inhale clean, fresh air while also helping to boost mood levels. The plant is toxic to humans and pets if ingested.
17. Cast-Iron Plant
A particularly resilient option is the Aspidistra elatior, commonly known as the Cast-Iron plant because it is so impervious to neglect and mistreatment. It is drought-tolerant and will survive even with extremely minimal light.
- Cast Iron Plant Pot: Cast Iron plant, also known as ballroom plant, is a sturdy and resilient house plant with robust, healthy, glossy dark green leaves. The plant is famed for its near-indestructible nature
- Indoor Plant: The robust plant, capable of tolerating a huge range of growing conditions, is ideal for plant beginners. The USDA hardiness zone for outdoor planting is 7–11 for this plant
- Easy Maintenance: Cast iron plants are low-maintenance and easy to care for; the plants grow well in low light indoors, with the ideal temperature being 45–85 °F. A heat pack is also included for each plant if your region experiences cold weather
- Home and Garden Decor: Our cast iron plant pot is perfect for windowsills, countertops, desks, and tables in your home or garden. The plant, which can reach up to 2' at full height, is also a great gift option for friends and family
- Health Benefits: Live plants purify the air in their surroundings and thus enable you to inhale clean, fresh air while also helping to boost mood levels. The plant is safe for both humans and pets
Aloe is a great plant for forgetful yogis. They prefer bright, indirect light, and cool temperatures. They will survive almost any treatment other than over-watering. Aloe is a healing plant, which can be used for burns.
- Live Aloe Vera Aloe Barbadensis 8"-12"+ Aloe in 3.5" Pot Great for landscaping. Approximately 6"-8" bottom of pot to top of plant. But can be larger. Perfect for planting indoors or out. Medicinal. Great for gifting!
- Aloe Vera Succulents do well in your garden, on a patio, or in a sunny window. Comes in a 3.5" pot with our own premium succulent soil blend.
- We ship fast, usually within 24 hours of ordering. The succulents will ship directly from our greenhouse to your door. Our plants never sit in dark warehouses. Shipping is automatically combined. Order as many plants as you like for one low shipping rate
- We pack expertly and guarantee live arrival. We also include an extended guarantee for 30 days from delivery!
- Comes with a FREE color postcard with care instructions.
Final Word: Perfect Plants to Grow in Your Yoga Studio
We hope that we have managed to convey just how diverse the options for indoor plants are? No matter what the specifics of your setting, with so many options to choose from, you should have no problem finding a variety of plant or plants that are perfect for a yoga studio or even your home.
There are no limiting factors. Our natural environment is subject to a diversity of conditions just as our built environment is. Take the time to assess your needs and then enjoy choosing the right plants for you.